The Clea cosplay saga continues! With this update I painted the bodice, constructed the cloak, and agonized over making gloves.
In my original design, I had planned to paint circles on the bodice. I have been worried about this part because I was not quite sure how the painting would turn out. After several trials with two different paints and brush techniques, I got the bodice painted and I’m very happy with how the circles turned out! They turned out better than expected with just regular acrylic paint and a foam brush. Ironically, the specialty fabric paint I purchased did not work nearly as well.
Next up was the cloak. My overall goal for this piece is to have a layered and sheer cloak enhanced with LED lights. The first hurdle was to make a wire frame substantial enough to hold up the fabric and attach to the bodice. A good old wire clothes hanger fit the bill, and with some fancy bending, I ended up with the shape I needed. Since I was still in the experimental phase with this cloak, I just hand tacked several layers of fabric to the wire. It was obvious at that point that the wire needed to be hidden more since the fabric on the inside of the cloak was quite transparent. This was a simple fix by just wrapping some of the darker cloak fabric around the wire. Once I had the frame fully sewn into the cloak, I tried experimenting with the LED wire lights I had purchased. Even though I tried not to purchase the cheapest set out there, they did not turn on or function. This is a bummer because this particular product includes a remote which will be very handy when in costume to turn them on and off. Until the exchanged package of lights come back, I shifted my focus onto making the sheer gloves.